It's Not a One Man Show

To begin, in English this year I learned that you sound smart if you start something with a quote.

"It is easy to say she was bad, but there is 
little meaning unless we know why."

"A soldier must want to do the things we had to do- 
or at least be satisfied with them. I couldn't find a good 
enough reason for killing men and women, 
nor understand the reasons when they were explained."

- John Steinbeck in East of Eden


Teachers always told me that the title of your blogger is very important. It's what captures your audience. This year, I have loved naming them. And they are odd titles that I later explain in the post. But, this time... I don't know. I struggle with what to name it. First, it was titled, "Why". Now, it's "It's Not a One Man Show".

I loved the first month in my Entertainment class! My teacher talked of big goals. She was excited to teach the class, and I was kinda excited to take it. During this time, she assigned a PSA and a "short film". I love making short videos. It gives me a chance to express myself in multiple ways. She talked about doing a commercial and music video, etc. I've done these outside of class with my sister but never with my class. I was, at this point, very excited. However, it's been a whole semester and we have still not done those videos.


On the PSA, I felt held back. To me, art is about expression. Sometimes, you just fall on your face and make something really bad. But in five years, when I look at that video, I'll laugh. So technically, I, as an artist, have done may job - make someone feel something. That is always my goal.

Example:

 

I had to do so much paperwork and pre-production that this was too planned. It's a video about raw emotion. I really, with my whole team, just wanted to get out there and film and we couldn't.

e-Comm "guarantees" different workplace behavior/ qualities that will make you succeed. They included technology, communication, leadership, collaboration, and project management.

For the "short" film, my team excelled in all of those categories. I was not able to be in class most of pre-production or during filming. They did a great job making sure I was apart of all the decisions, etc. Tanner, our director, showed great leadership. Whenever I asked a question and suggested a solution to a problem, he really examined what the pros and cons were (are). This is a quality that very director (really everyone) needs to know and understand. I get it. It's hard to learn it. Not everyone will have that quality. But, my teacher once told me that "my opinion matters" and that "I am a very valuable team member".

And side note: I ask SOOOO many questions!! 
It's how I learn!! It's how I get 
others to see my point of view!! 
And by the second quarter, whenever I would 
ask questions, I felt that I always got
shot down. That the answer was always "because". 
Well, to everyone who answered that, sorry the audience will not 
understand that this character is that way "because".  


Back to the "short" film: When I sat down to edit, I felt like to story wasn't capturing what we had wanted- people to laugh. So talking and collaborating with my team, we made it a silent film, kinda. 

Take a look:




What surprises me is that we got a 9/10 on this project. I still don't know why.

With each project I do, I make a friend out of it (hopefully). I was a camera operator during the lipdub. I had so much fun doing filming it and working closely with my classmates. However, I would change the communication between staff and the production team. We had an AD. What was their job if not to talk to teachers? I also talked to classmates and they were confused that it was a remake of one in the past.

Ours:




Theirs:


"Why fix it if it anit broke?" I fell that we had a creative enough team that we could've made something that couldn't be compared to the past. That would show a different light of Northwest.

I learned so much this year by being in this class. Everyone's journey is a little different. Mine, I had a lot of pressure and was always stressed. I had a rough first semester of senior year. I learned and grew personally in this class.

I got the opportunity to go see a movie in 4D, which, however startling it was, is something I suggest doing. I project this is where movies are going in the future. When "sound" movies first appeared, people were skeptical. But I bet, for a few who love to experience new things and learn from each opportunity, they enjoyed it because they would get to see how the industry would grow. That is what I'm excited about. My next adventure, I hope, is going to see a Harry Potter movie where the orchestra is playing the score right in front of you. About.

I also got to meet industry professionals. Right now, I'm going to college to become a Genetic Counselor. However, people always talk about how students change their degree this many times. On my list of other jobs, one is marketing. It was really interesting to talk to Ms. Smith's ( the teacher) son. He shared his journey on how he got started. He gave me hope. I'm not going into video next year. But I fell I have a big enough passion for it that I will still do it. He did it outside of class, so I can too. Ms. Smith also brought in Mr. Lamb (I sure hope that's right) who talked about industry grade equipment. Wow! I'm speechless. His equipment was amazing. This class has students that are going into the profession and this experience will propel them even further than their classmates.

Overall, hmmm... I loved the people in the class. I fell like I have connected with this class better than I did in my last year entertainment class. I fell like I could talk to most of them outside the class. Ms. Smith, I know what you mean by "Overall takeaway or learning from this semester." But I learned more about myself as a person than I learned about video in this class.

I introduced this blog with two quotes. Normally, authors will not tell you the meaning behind each. But I am not most authors. However, I think I'm going to leave a little mystery in the title. The first quote talks about asking why. For my classmates next semester, I ask you to continue to ask "why", "how", and "what could change". Can I lead by an example? What would change if we changed Madison to be a news reporter at a TV station instead of a radio station?

The second quote, it talks about doing/ not doing what you enjoy. It is to the extreme because it's about killing people, but it does have some redeeming qualities. If I am told to do something (whether it is the government or my teachers) I'm going to ask "Why?" Yes, most times they have a great answer. But sometimes, they don't. To me, it's then "What's the point?" "What will I learn?" And trust me when I say, I like school. I love to learn. But if I don't see any ventage in doing it, then I won't do it.

Good-bye to this semester! I have cried, laughed, gotten sick, made memories (some good and some bad), but really I have learned.




Comments

Popular Posts